Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Android | Pandora | Stitcher | More
Another reminder that the “Wealth, Actually” podcasts come out on Thursday morning before the EST commute. You can subscribe on most major podcast platforms . . . and now on with the show!
Remember Todd Marinovich? He was on the cover of Sports Illustrated as the archetype for early specialization and “guaranteed success” in sports . . . his story started out nicely, but ended in a horrible flame out. Here is a recent update on his progress from Rick Telander . . .
In this Episode, Haven and I engage our society’s thirst for sports success, the pressure it puts on early sports specialization and the damage it can cause.
- The role of sports in social mobility
- How colleges and the admissions process have played a role in sports machine
- The benefits of team activities in overall development
- The lottery-like odds of success
- The nature of injuries and the risk of specialization
- The benefits of specialization and the risk of being left behind
Let us know what you think!